- Stop ALL aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs 7 days before surgery. These medications affect your blood platelets and may results in increased bleeding during and after surgery.
- If you are on blood thinners other than aspirin, you will be instructed when to stop this medication prior to your surgery, during your pre-operative testing.
- Stop ALL hormone replacement therapy 3 weeks BEFORE and AFTER surgery. These medications can increase your risk for blood clots after surgery.
- All dietary supplements and herbal preparations should be stopped 7 days prior to surgery.
- If you are taking any medications for Rheumatoid Arthritis, please notify the office. These may have to be held 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after your surgery to help reduce the risk of infection and wound healing complications.
- During your pre-admission testing, you will be provided specific instructions with regard to all your prescription medication. It is important that you continue all your prescribed medication until you received instruction during your pre-admission testing office visit.
- Remember to bring a list of all your medication to your pre-admission testing.
- If you have any questions about your medication, please contact Dr. Jacob’s office at 405-424-5426.
** Herbal Preparations & Dietary Supplements that have potential to interact with anesthesia
|Compound||Potential Problems||When to Stop Taking|
|Bromelain||Increased risk for bleeding||7 days prior|
|Chondroitin||Irregular heartbeat, increased risk of bleeding||7 days prior|
|Chromium||Interaction with anesthetics to cause Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)||7 days prior|
|Cysteine||Interaction with anesthetics to cause abnormally low blood pressure||7 days prior|
|Echinacea||Immunosuppression, poor wound healing||7 days prior|
|Ephedra||Increased heart rate and blood pressure||7 days prior|
|Fish Oil||Increased risk for bleeding, hemorrhagic stroke||7 days prior|
|Garlic||Increased risk for bleeding||7 days prior|
|Ginko||Increased risk for bleeding||7 days prior|
|Ginseng||Increased risk for bleeding, hypoglycemia||7 days prior|
|Glucosamine||Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar), increased risk of infection, increased risk of bleeding||7 days prior|
|Kava||Increased risk for sedation||7 days prior|
|L-tryptophan||Increased risk for confusion and respiration depression (stop breathing)||7 days prior|
|Omega-3 fatty acids||Increased risk for bleeding, hemorrhagic stroke||7 days prior|
|Phenylalanine||Increase risk of muscle spasms||7 days prior|
|Saw Palmetto||Increased risk for bleeding||7 days prior|
|St. John’s Wort||Increased risk for confusion and respiration depression (stop breathing)||7 days prior|
|Turmeric||Increased risk for bleeding||7 days prior|
|Valerian root||Increased risk for sedation||7 days prior|
|Vanadium||Increased risk for bleeding||7 days prior|
|Vitamin A||Increased risk for bleeding, liver damage||7 days prior|
|Vitamin C||Dehydration||7 days prior|
|Vitamin D||Toxic reaction to digoxin||7 days prior|
|Vitamin E||Increased risk for bleeding, increased blood pressure||7 days prior|
|Zinc||Lupus-like reaction||7 days prior|